Trivia / Fun Facts Last Updated:
January 10th, 2010
Space Fortress --- Trivia / Fun Facts* This is my second C++ game ever, preceded only by an obscure text-based game dubbed Fishing III and followed by PixelShips.
* The weapons are actually made up of pixels. Each individual pixel of a weapon deals damage, rather than the weapon as a whole.
* This was originally a text-mode game in QBASIC I was writing during lunch breaks in high-school. The text-mode version was actually very close to finished, but it seems to have been lost. The copy I still have at the moment is seriously outdated and missing most of the gameplay.
* The graphics are handled by a library of graphics functions a friend of mine made which he dubbed "Direct-Y" as a take off of Microsoft's DirectX. I'm not sure but I think Space Fortress is the only game ever made with his graphics library.
* The Auto-Orb series of PixelShips actually first appeared here in Space Fortress. Another tie-in is that the ships in Space Fortress and in PixelShips are both the same size: 9x9 pixels.
* Death from a life support failure is very rare in Space Fortress as in order for life support to fail, you generally have to be in pretty bad shape already and will likely get blown apart long before the oxygen levels are depleted.
* Because operating systems treat the "Pause" key on the keyboard so oddly, this game uses Scroll Lock to pause. (Perhaps one of the only instances in the past couple decades of computing where scroll lock does anything useful!)
Copyright ©1995-2010 Pixelmusement, All Rights Reserved.
DISCLAIMER: Only HTML files may be linked to and only screenshots may be used on other websites without permission. No other files or images may be copied or linked to without permission. Pixelmusement cannot be held responsible for any computer damages that occur while visiting, downloading, or using material on or from this website, though proper usage should yield no computer damage whatsoever.
Remember to surf responsibly and virus scan all your downloads from ANY website you visit!